Monday, May 29

Folkestone

Today we went on an adventure to Folkestone. We had never been here before, but because it is bank holiday here in England I decided to go out for the day. I got the map out, saw that Folkestone wasn't too far away and so it was decided.

Because I had no preconceptions of what Folkestone would be like I wasn't disapointed. What I saw was a town with two sides. There is the old side, which has run down buildings, disused fairground rides, and a harbour. Where, by the way, you can buy some nice fresh fish. Then there is the new side of town. This is not as new and posh as the Canary Wharf side of Poplar, but nevertheless, is quite asthetically acceptable. It has some nice shops. The downside for me was that there were area's where it smelled like people had used the walls and pavements as toilets. Also, as someone who had never been there before, I needed to see the road signs. I couldn't see them clearly because the tree's needed a good trim!

Bram got all excited because Folkestone is where the Salvation Army musical Glory is based. So he was able to see first hand the area's that Glory tells of. I admit that I was a little bit interested as well, but didn't let on. Today we seemed to be more interested in the SA history in Folkestone. We pass the site of the first SA hostel weekly. (Bram passes it everyday) We are members of the oldest existing Corps in the world, and both enter the hall almost daily. I guess the excitement of this has worn off now after 2 years of being here. For me now, the excitement is that we average around 50 worshippers on Sunday mornings. God has been good. I was given the opportunity to lead worship yesterday for these 50 people. I pray that I didn't let God down. We can look back, but it is equally as important to look around now, and look forward to the future.

No comments: