I have been thinking about Social justice the past couple of days. Our meeting yesterday afternoon was on the book of Amos. It talks about social justice and what God's people should do about it. I then got this reading from Luke 14 in my devotional e-mail. It says this - Luke 14: 12 - 14 (New Living Translation) 12Then he turned to his host. "When you put on a luncheon or a dinner," he said, "don't invite your friends, brothers, relatives, and rich neighbors. For they will repay you by inviting you back. 13Instead, invite the poor, the crippled, the lame, and the blind. 14Then at the resurrection of the godly, God will reward you for inviting those who could not repay you."
Before I came to Poplar I had a strange kind of view about doing things within the community for the community. I used to think that I should do these things as a way of getting people saved, but this Bible reading doesn't mention anywhere that you should invite people to a dinner and then present them with the gospel. Jesus wants us to feed them because we can, no hidden agenda's. No clever sales pitch about the kingdom, just food. I like this verse, but I also like the concept of feeding the ones looked down on by society. Our place is with them. But this is an easy thing to talk about here. We have plenty of needy people making themselves known to us. The real challenge for me will be when I leave, and take charge of my own corps. I really hope I don't lose sight of this instruction from Jesus.
No comments:
Post a Comment