The telephone rang today and it was a man wanting accomodation. You can tell when someone has worked themselves up to make a phone call. They launch right into what they are going to say. The problem here was that I work for a Corps and not a hostel so I was totally unable to help. I gave him the number of our local hostel that has recently been refurbished. He put the phone down and I decided that I should check that this was the right number. I discovered that it wasn't! Now though I have the correct number so I can direct people to the right place.
A little later, one of our regular homeless men came in for assistance. He was completely worse for wear. Slurring his words, and looking like he was fighting to get words out. I strongly suspect it wasn't just alcohol he had consumed today. This was another instance where I felt so helpless. I gave him a few tins of food, and just wondered what I could do for him. I ended up offering him a cup of tea which he drank. I didn't know what else to do.
Thursday, March 16
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment