Monday, February 6

Am I soft?

Recently I've been accused of being tough with people, and saying no to loans of money and things. This kind of made me think. When I arrived at Poplar Corps in 2004 I had what could probably be seen as a very idealistic view of The Salvation Army and it's mission. I also think it's fair to say I had a very limited view. Now, after nearly 2 years here, I would like to think that I have grown as a person, grown spiritually, and maybe more importantly, am less naive.

As I've said before, it winds me up when I think that people are taking advantage of my good nature, and also the charitableness of The Salvation Army. If people are grateful for something that you do for them it makes it more worthwhile, but it also makes me willing to go the extra mile for them.

Take today for example. I handle the room bookings at my Corps, and had a telephone call from an organisation that I personally am not too pleased with at the minute. However, I was willing to bury my feelings for the duration of the call and listen to what this woman wanted from me. She basically wanted to hire a room on Wednesday morning for an hour, to which I agreed. Then I had a phone call from the people that she had rang on behalf of. Now because the second woman was so grateful for allowing the use of the room, I was willing to do a little more for them. This got me wondering whether I am still basically the trusting, naive person I was 2 years ago, or has this quality been developed to allow me to deal with people God's way? Answers on a postcard please.

No comments: