Monday, July 17

Being overprotective.

We were just about to lock up and go home from the Hall when a young woman walked in eating Chicken and Chips. She asked for a food parcel, and so I went into the kitchen and put a few tins of food into a plastic bag for her. I don't like asking people why they want a food parcel, because I know that I would find it hard enough to ask a stranger for food without having to tell them what I had done with my money that had put me into this situation. I grudgingly gave her the bag of food, and off she went. The reason that I grudgingly gave her food was because I had a problem with asking for food (which is intended for people who don't have any food) when the person is eating. She came back 2 days later and bought herself breakfast, telling the kitchen staff that she hadn't eaten for 2 days. I am glad that I did give her what little we had because I don't know what her home situation is.

Even though I am very protective of my food stash in the cupboard that I keep for food parcels, whilst there is food in the cupboard for this purpose, I would never turn anyone away without some food because I would hate to find out that I had turned someone away who really didn't have anything.

1 comment:

Thomas said...

if this woman was willing enough to come up to you and ask for a food pastle then she must need it. it must be rather embarrasing to ask a charity for food. she must have needed it. its good that you gave it to her, hopefully you made the right choice and she did need it.