Saturday, August 27

I was collecting money today for The Salvation Army's Annual Appeal, which is a big time of collecting money in various places during September. A man came up to me to put some money in my box and said something that got my mind racing! In fact, it kept my mind occupied during the quiet times when no one wanted to put any money in my box. He said "It's not a lot, but it's all I've got" There is a story in the Bible about a child who gave all that he had to Jesus. This child though, gave everything he had, even before he'd taken what he wanted from it, and Jesus used it to feed 5000 people. Sometimes we sing a song with a chorus that says these words -

1.
And is it so? A gift from me
Dost thou, dear Lord, request?
Then speak thy will, whate'er it be:
Obeying, I am blest.

Chorus
I have not much to give thee, Lord,
For that great love which made thee mine:
I have not much to give thee, Lord,
But all I have is thine.

2.
And dost thou ask a gift from me:
The talents I possess?
Such as I have I give to thee
That others I may bless.

3.
And dost thou ask a gift from me:
The gift of passing time?
My hours I'll give, not grudgingly,
I feel by right they're thine.

4.
And dost thou ask a gift from me:
A loving, faithful heart?
'Tis thine, for thou on Calvary
For me with all didst part.

Richard Slater (1854-1939)

I feel that God deserves all that we can give to Him, after all, He gave everything He had to us. Our everything means before we take some out for ourselves, not what is left at end when we've finished with it.

No comments: