I have grown up with parents who were (and still are) members of The Salvation army. I start with this comment because I am going to inflict you with my latest revelation. And also because it is less boring than starting with my next sentence.
I went to the British Museum on Saturday. I don't know much about this museum except that it is in London and is free entry. But beware of the coffee shop which is VERY expensive! Anyway, back to the revelation of mine. In the British museum there is an exhibition on Egypt and artifacts gathered from the palaces there. Within this collection there is actual stone decoration taken from the palace of Sennacherib. This man has a mention in the Bible in 2 Kings 17 (I looked this up this afternoon when I should have been listening to a sermon in college). The revelation is this, that the Bible is not just a manual for living, it is also a history book! It talks about people and events that can actually be proven to have happened.
This revelation might not be that exciting to most other people, but I am blown away by this. I was brought up to believe that the Bible was a guide book for living. I had never been told that stories and events could be proven. I was happy in my blind faith. I was happy to believe in the truths behind the stories. I am still finding it difficult to actually picture Jesus as a real man, even though I believe that he was, but I am working on this.
I went to the British Museum on Saturday. I don't know much about this museum except that it is in London and is free entry. But beware of the coffee shop which is VERY expensive! Anyway, back to the revelation of mine. In the British museum there is an exhibition on Egypt and artifacts gathered from the palaces there. Within this collection there is actual stone decoration taken from the palace of Sennacherib. This man has a mention in the Bible in 2 Kings 17 (I looked this up this afternoon when I should have been listening to a sermon in college). The revelation is this, that the Bible is not just a manual for living, it is also a history book! It talks about people and events that can actually be proven to have happened.
This revelation might not be that exciting to most other people, but I am blown away by this. I was brought up to believe that the Bible was a guide book for living. I had never been told that stories and events could be proven. I was happy in my blind faith. I was happy to believe in the truths behind the stories. I am still finding it difficult to actually picture Jesus as a real man, even though I believe that he was, but I am working on this.
1 comment:
i find it facinating as your life in college goes on keep on the blogging it is a great encouragement for us who are looking at joining as cadets
Post a Comment